South Lyon – Today

Originally published on the South Lyon Hotel's Website.

Originally published on the South Lyon Hotel’s Website. This is the South Lyon Hotel as it is today near the center of town. It is one of the most visited restaurants in town.

The city of South Lyon has a population of about 11,000 people. South Lyon has many local parks in the area, including McHattie Park right in town. There are many Metro parks in the area including Kensington, Hudson Mills, and Huron Meadows. Island Lake State Park is also very close to South Lyon. The city also has a long bike path that used to be one of the railroad lines through town. They paved the path in its place when they removed the lines. The city has an annual event called the Pumpkinfest where the town gathers for a parade down the main road. It’s a festivity in the fall filled with carnival games, food and drinks from local restaurants and breweries, and also hosts a 5k run. The photos below are from the Pumpkinfest website (www.southlyonpumpkinfest.com).

Pumpkinfest 2

Pumpkinfest 1

The town has it’s historical society located near McHattie Park off Pontiac Trail. The Historical Park has the Witch’s Hat Depot that was built in 1909 which serves as the museum. The original Lutheran church along with one of the original one room school houses are also present in the Historical Park. They are constantly looking for historical pictures from the early days of South Lyon and have many brochures that explain the early settlements. If one wishes to know more, they can obtain a CD titled “As Time Goes By” which is a more in-depth look into the early days of South Lyon. The following pictures depict some of the attractions at the Historical Museum in South Lyon and the information

This school house, called the Washburn School, was originally in Green Oak township. It was built in 1907 and was used until 1953 when they merged with the South Lyon School District. It was donated to the park in 1984.

This school house, called the Washburn School, was originally in Green Oak township. It was built in 1907 and was used until 1953 when they merged with the South Lyon School District. It was donated to the park in 1984.

The Little Village Chapel was moved to it's current location in the Park in 2001.

The Little Village Chapel was moved to it’s current location in the Park in 2001.

The Witch's Hat Depot in it's current location at the Historical Park. It was moved here in 1976 and the inside shows what a turn of the century depot would look have looked like.

The Witch’s Hat Depot in it’s current location at the Historical Park. It was moved here in 1976 and the inside shows what a turn of the century depot would look have looked like.

This is the caboose moved to the Historical Park in 1982. It is a Chesapeake & Ohio caboose from 1926 and is furnished how it would have looked during operation.

This is the caboose moved to the Historical Park in 1982. It is a Chesapeake & Ohio caboose from 1926 and is furnished how it would have looked during operation.