Michigan History

The First Port Huron Settlement

An elevated view of McMorran Blvd., the main street in downtown Port Huron, from south of the Bluewater Bridge

An elevated view of McMorran Blvd., the main street in downtown Port Huron, from south of the Bluewater Bridge

The first pioneer to set up shop in what is present-day Port Huron was a French soldier named Daniel Greysolon, also known as Sieur du Luht, in the summer of 1686. “du Luht” may look familiar to some and it should, as Sieur du Luht is the namesake of Duluth, Minnesota.
Sieur du Luht established Fort St. Joseph as a French barrier to prevent English traders from advancing into the northern lakes.
This first European settlement of Port Huron did not have much tenure, as the French burned and abandoned the fort just two years later in 1688, and relinquished territorial rights back to the Native American Ojibwa and Chippewa tribes.