The First on the Fraser Frontier
The Influence of Alexander Frazer
Native Americans were the first individuals to occupy Fraser. The oldest street in Fraser called Mulvey Road was originally a Native American trail before being paved into one of Fraser’s major roads. Fraser did not officially become a village until 1858 when a Detroit lawyer named, Alexander Frazer came to the area. Once arriving in the area he plotted a subdivision and built various houses. The land was desirable to settlers since the location was near the Chicago, Detroit, and Canada Grand Trunk Junction Railroad Company station, and was at the intersection of Detroit and Utica Plank Roads, in south central Macomb County . Frazer took advantage of the commercial prospects of the train going the through the area by building and operating a hotel in the area that housed guests who were getting off on and the trains. Frazer also sold numerous pieces of land between 1860 and 1870 (Naldrett). After 1870 he no longer lived in the village and drowned on Detroit during the year 1871. While he passed away prematurely his legacy lives on, seeing as the village was named after him.