In 1820, many settlers had started to move to Washington Township. Many of these people came from New York, and obtained government land grants to help jump start their farming careers. The town though, would be nameless until April of 1827. At this time, people from the town gathered at the home of Alvin Nye, to discuss the name for the new township. There were many names being tossed around, but it was Daniel Thurston who gave the idea of naming it after the father of our country, George Washington, and the name Washington Township was widely accepted by the people.