The Charter Township of Clinton

The Charter Township of Clinton, or Clinton Township, was founded on August 12, 1818 as “Huron Township” named after a nearby river named Huron River. This was changed later in 1824 because it caused confusion with another Huron River near Detroit. It was then named after DeWitt Clinton, a governor from New York who played a large role in the construction of the Erie Canal, which helped bring a lot of settlers to Michigan. People started to settle here because the man who founded this land, David Zeisberger and his followers discovered it and is was described in David’s diary “a fine place to lay  out a town on a height… between the river and the height, there are many springs, that flow into the river and have exceedingly good water.” (http://clintontwphistory.org/history.html) David Zeisberger called this settlement “New Gnadenhutten”

http://www.weddingmapper.com/plan/vendor/mi/romeo/ceremony_venues/george_george_memorial_park/79859?geocoded=g