Allegan’s name was coined by the noted student of the Indians, Henry Schoolcraft. The town was founded in 1831 and organized in 1835. Allegan was promoted in the year of 1855 by eastern capitalists who were attracted by the site’s sources of water power. For many years, steamboats traveled the Kalamazoo River between Allegan and Saugatuck. Extensive lumbering by the pioneers cleared the way for farm production, in which the County has been a leader.
Allegan County is now home to to several neighbor towns such as South Haven, Otsego, Wayland, and Holland. The County employs approximately 700 people. It is the 18th largest county in Michigan with 827 square miles, 25 miles of them is the beautiful coast of Lake Michigan.