In 1795, a man named Christian Clemens traveled from his hometown in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, to Detroit, Michigan and engaged in the leather manufacturing industry. In 1798, Clemens and a surveying party, led by Lewis Cass, came to the area known today as Mount Clemens, Michigan. Intrigued by the area, Clemens bought property along the river in 1801. By early 1818, Christian Clemens had laid out streets and lots of land, plotting the village of Mount Clemens. Later in 1818, Michigan Territorial Governor Lewis Cass named Mount Clemens the County Seat of Macomb County, and appointed Christian Clemens as Judge of the County Court. On January 26, 1837, the same day that Michigan became the 26th state admitted into the United States, the settlement of Mount Clemens became incorporated as a village. By 1879, more than 3,000 people lived in the village, and it was incorporated as a city.
Today, Mount Clemens remains the Macomb County Seat. The 4.22 square mile city has a population of just over 16,300 people (2012). Mount Clemens is located about twenty miles northeast of Detroit.