ROSEVILLE: Origins and Early Settlement
By the time Michigan became a state in 1836, current day Roseville was a major farming community part of Orange Township. The original city name was Erin Township and the name Roseville started being after William Rose was appointed the area’s postmaster in 1840, and named the area’s first post office Roseville Post Office honoring his father’s name. It wasn’t until the 1926 it was actually considered Roseville village, and 1958 was when it was incorporated as a city. Gratiot Ave. was constructed back in 1846 as a wood poll road that connected Detroit and Mt. Clemons, which caused Roseville to mostly be known as an area between the two major cities until just before it became a city in early 1950s, as populations increased greatly as many homes and shopping centers started to develop.
Cover Image: (p.82 Minnis)