The city of Rochester, Michigan, was settled in 1817 and this area would become present day Oakland County. Rochester and Rochester Hills together are called Avon Township and Rochester holds a enviable location along the Clinton River Valley. Rochester, MI was named after Rochester, NY, as the first settlers to arrive was the Graham family. The Graham family had a log cabin that stood near main street today.
Rochester’s location in the Clinton River Valley, gives residents plentiful water supply. The main source of water comes from the Clinton River, Stony Creek, and Paint Creek, which all had water-powered mills that provide residents with food, shelter and wood. Rochester’s agriculture used to be the main industry for the city and although not as prevalent today, remains an important part of its operation.
Rochester’s first industrial building was a water powered sawmill that is still available for tour today, the community produced lumber. While many of the farms began as family farms, producing food and clothing simply for themselves, more and more land was cleared away to expand the farms and make production for sales and profit possible. Wool mills were also important to the industry of Rochester, and the Western Knitting Mills building is still a registered historical landmark, today this historical building is home to the Rochester Mills Brewing Co.
Rochester Mills Brewing Co.