(Van Buren County Courthouse)
In 1837, Paw Paw was deemed as the county seat for Van Buren County. In 1845, the first Van Buren County Courthouse began operating in Paw Paw Michigan. In 1900, Van Buren County decided to construct a new county courthouse, which was completed in 1903. The new county courthouse was envisioned by architect Claire Allen, and constructed by George Rickman & Sons. After the new courthouse was constructed, the original county courthouse began to serve as Paw Paw’s city hall, which it still acts as today. In 1971 Paw Paw City Hall, originally the courthouse for Van Buren County, was designated as a Michigan State Historic Site. The following year, Paw Paw City Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The current Van Buren County Courthouse was designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1977, and two years later was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Paw Paw City Hall and the Van Buren County Courthouse are the only two sites in Paw Paw recognized on the National Register of Historic Places.
(Paw Paw City Hall)
Fedynksy, John. Michigan’s County Courthouses. University of Michigan, 2010.