After announcing the Lansing has become the capital it triggered the surrounded villages because this forest like area had became the seat of state government. Lansing was given a temporary name of Town of Michigan, but in April 1848 legislation changed it to Lansing. These early settlers decided to develop a three separate villages or premises alongside Grand River: Old Town.
Villages in Old Town
The first premise or area was the Lower Village which is where Old Town resides today. It is the oldest of the three villages. This place was the residence of James Seymour and his family and the first house built in Lansing. In 1847, Lower Town began to develop itself and created Franklin avenue which is now Grand River Avenue with a bridge that’s over Grand River. The next village was Upper Village which is where REO town resides today. It began it’s reputation in 1847, when the Main Street bridge was constructed over Grand River. The villages peek was when Benton House opened in 1848, which is a four story hotel. This was the first brick building in Lansing. In 1848, the last village was Middle Village which is where downtown Lansing is today. This same year the Michigan Avenue bridge was built across Grand River. The first capitol building sat where Cooley Law School is located and the post office was relocated to the village in 1851. This area would grow to become larger than the other two villages combined and it was officially named Lansing in 1848.