The first people to live in what is now called the City of Livonia were the Potowatami Indians. The land contained nutritious soil. Pioneers from New England and New York began to settle in this area. These pioneers brought a new way of life and most likely the name Livonia (City of Livonia). The boundaries would be set through territorial legislature by March 17, 1835. Livonia Township residents were ready to become a City. In 1950 a vote would occur, and on May 23, 1950 the Township was now officially the City of Livonia.