In Livonia’s first years, growth was slow. The people of Livonia grew vegetables and raised cattle. The late 1940’s is when Livonia would drastically change. In 1948, General Motors built an automatic transmission plant, then soon after a Ford Motor Company parts depot was built (City of Livonia). In 1949, the Michigan Racing Association built a thoroughbred and harness racetrack (City of Livonia). This would greatly benefit Livonia, but they had to be a City in order for that to happen. Livonia’s Economic Development Corporation (EDC) was created in 1974. This provides a partnership between public and private sectors helping businesses grow and prosper (City of Livonia). Since 1950, the city has grown quite significantly. At a population of 17,000 in 1950, it grew to over 100,000 by 1998. Today the population has gone down to just below 100,000 (City of Livonia).