Ovid, Michigan was the last township in Clinton County to be settled. It was settled in July of 1836 by Samuel Barker. He settled in the northern part of the township, close to Duplain Township. Barker was followed by Allen Lounsbury and William H. Farager. The town was not named after its first settler but rather after the town in the state of New York where many of the settlers came from. The Village was incorporated in 1869. Ovid is located between St. Johns and Owosso and is partially in Clinton County and Shiawassee County.