In 1850, Albertus Van Raalte donated some land that would be dedicated to the advancement of learning for young men. After 10 years, campus was enlarged to 16 acres and renamed Hope College which remains the name of the school today. Van Raalte created the school so that Holland youth could gain higher learning based in Christian methods. Van Vleck Hall was built in 1857 and served many uses to the school and it is still standing at the center of the campus today. Today, Hope College has 3,400 students and is still Holland’s only college.