City of Bloomfield Hills
Bloomfield Hills was not always the elegant and stately community it is today. More than thirteen thousand years ago, melting glaciers left behind mounds of gravel and sand, which now form the “hills” of Bloomfield. Bloomfield Township came to be in 1786 as a result of the Land Ordinance written by Thomas Jefferson. The first settlers came to the area around the year 1820, in search for good grazing land for their cattle. With roads like Woodward Ave running right through the heart of Bloomfield Township, it was easy for many settlers to migrate into the city. Today, Bloomfield Hills and Bloomfield Township have a population over 47,000, which have come a long way from the 30 families who populated the area in 1830. Just one year after John Hunter first settled in the township in 1819, Territorial Governor Lewis Cass officially declared the southern part of Oakland County as Bloomfield Township. The town continued to grow in population for the next 60 years, reaching 41,000 in 1883. During this time, the first post office was established in 1824 at what is now the corner of Lone Pine and Woodward Ave, as well as the first store opening up in 1826. In 1904, two residents by the name of George and Ellen Booth bought 174 acres of land, which would later become the Cranbrook Educational Community. This was the start of something spectacular in the town, leading to one of the best school districts in the nation. Bloomfield Hills officially broke off and became an independent city in 1932. The Bloomfield Township Public Library first opened its doors in 1964 at a location they rented at the Devon Building Facility on Telegraph Rd., and later moved to its location on Lone Pine Road in 1969. Just recently in 2004, the township approved a bond issue upwards of 23 million dollars for renovations and expansions to the library. The town continues to have some of the most state of the art homes, with quiet tree-lined neighborhoods often located near popular lakes and beaches, which attracts many of its population.
Written by: Daniel Clements