History of Frankfort, Michigan
Although Frankfort had many inhabitants in the past, the first person to purchase land that would later become the city of Frankfort was Joseph Oliver who spent his time building a small cabin, hunting, fishing and cutting down trees. Oliver purchased a total of 14 acres which consisted of land, “Between Lake Aux Becs Scies and Lake Michigan in 1852.” (Anderson) Following the interest in this area was Ransom Gardiner, George S. Frost, and George W. Tifft. These men found this area around Lake Aux Becs Scies interesting because it displayed high commercial value. As businesses, post offices, and hotels developed, vessels were recorded to visit this town more and more as the days passed.
Crystal Lake Township, which was established in 1859, also included Benzie County. The first Township meeting was held in Frankfort in 1860 in one of the company stores. Following this institution, arguments about where the meetings would be held and by who continued for the next 75 years. It wasn’t until March 11, 1935 when the people of the village in Frankfort voted for Frankfort to officially become a city.