Westland only being 38 years old, was originally apart of Bucklin Township. Bucklin township was first organized in 1827 and is now the cities of Westland, Livonia, Garden City, Inkster, Wayne, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights and Redford Township (Bailey, Westland, Intro). With an act of the Michigan Territorial Legislature, October 20, 1829 Bucklin was divided into Lima and Richland townships. But because of a naming conflict with postal regulations at the time, Lima was renamed Nankin Township, and Richland as Pekin Township, but then Pekin became Redford Township in 1833 (Bailey, Intro). In 1835 Livonia Township was split off from Nankin. Wayne incorporated as a village in 1869 and as a city in 1960. Garden City incorporated as a village in 1927 and as a city in 1933. Inkster incorporated as a village in 1926 and as a city in 1964 (Bailey, Intro).
Westland gained it’s name after the Westland Mall. The people of Nankin Township, fought to save the mall from being taken by the City of Livonia, so the proposed name became Westland. After Nankin voters approved the Westland City Charter, the City of Westland became official on May 16, 1966. (Bailey, Intro)
Westland was first hunting grounds for various Native American tribes. Later the British and French would fight for control of the region. After the Treaty of Paris in 1783 the area was a part of the Northwest Territory. Westland was then sold as a part of the 1807 Treaty of Detroit. Pioneers began to settle here in the 1820’s. Some of the first being George Johnson, William Osband, Glode Chubb, and the Reverend Marcus Swift (Bailey, Intro).
Sources: Bailey, Daryl Alan, and Sherrye Louise Huggins Bailey. Westland. Charleston: Arcadia, 2004. Print.