Orchard lake village is part of Greater West Bloomfield consisting of West Bloomfield Township, Orchard Lake, Sylvan Lake, and Keego Harbor. The area is just more than 4 square miles, approximately 40 percent of which consists of lakes, wetlands, and streams.
Oakland County was established through a proclamation by Territorial Governor Lewis Cass in 1819. At the time, the county contained only two townships: Oakland and Bloomfield. The Town of Orchard Lake was founded in 1827, but it was not until 1833 that the land underwent further divisions to create the West Bloomfield that is known today.
Approximately 2,500 people live in the small village. Orchard Lake is home to a variety of notable organizations and important attractions today, including St. Mary’s Preparatory; sailing, tennis, and golf at Orchard Lake Country Club; and the Orchard Lake Nature Sanctuary.