Port Huron is a city that is famously known to many Michiganders. It is located on the St Clair River at Mouth of Lake Huron across from Sarnia, Canada and is the easternmost point in Michigan. After the War of 1812, Fort Gratiot was established at the base of Lake Huron. This was where French colonist had come to trade in the 17th century. Fort St. Joseph was built in 1686 by a French explorer who was named Duluth. Fort St. Joseph was the second European settlement in lower Michigan. The French used this Fort to guard the St. Clair River until it was abandoned in 1688. In 1895 Fort Gratiot was annexed by the city of Port Huron. Until the year 1836, the Ojibwa Indians had a reservation located in Port Huron but they were later removed and sent to the West.
Population in Port Huron grew rapidly during the 1850’s due to lumber trade and shipbuilding. This attracted a high rate of immigrants. Farmers came to the city looking for fertile soil while lumbermen searched for timber. In 1854 Thomas Edison’s family moved to the city where he worked on the railroad and began testing many of his inventions. Port Huron was incorporated as a city in 1857. This was just twenty years after Michigan had became a state. By 1871, the State Supreme Court had appointed Port Huron as the county seat.On October 8th, 1871 the city of Port Huron was burned down in the “Port Huron Fire of 1871”. In 1890 the worlds first international under-water railroad tunnel was built. It went under the St. Clair River and it connected Port Huron to Sarnia. In 1938 the Blue Water Bridge was opened.