Even with the small size of Huntington Woods having a good school located within the city limits was a top priority of citizens. After much determination in 1924 residents were able to get the Berkley School Board to allow construction of Burton Elementary School to begin. The school is still in the same location as when it was first built but since the first many changes have been made. Originally the school was built with six rooms and had 130 students. The school was prosperous for about six years but then the Great Depression spread across the United States. Slowly Burton Elementary began taking precautionary measure to do whatever they could to stay open. The school tried cutting salaries and only being open for half of the day but these efforts were not enough. The school closed complete in 1931. While Burton Elementary would remain closed for the next ten years this did not mean that the build itself would stay closed. Between the years of 1934 and 1939 Shrine Catholic School used the building. Once the United States was able to work its way out of the depression this gave Burton Elementary the chance to reopen. The school finally reopened in 1941 with 170 students in attendance between the grades of kindergarten and seventh grade.
Between the years of 1944 and 1954 many additions of classrooms and a gym were made to the original building. With the growth of classrooms lead to a growth of students. By 1954 there were over 1200 students between the grades of kindergarten and eighth grade. When the additions of the school started, so did the Burton School Parent-Teach Association (PTA). The parents in this PTA were very devoted that their child get the best education possible. With this overarching feelings about a child’s education led to 100% membership in the PTA. Burton was the first public school to reach this 100% goal. Burton’s PTA was also able to achieve this goal again in the years of 1990 and 1991. From 1944 on the PTA set out to accomplish a lot for the school. They organized various events: book fairs, ice cream socials, hobby and craft nights, etc. Another first that Burton achieved was in 1984, Instructor Magazine awarded national recognition to Burton with an A+ rating and a feature article. Burton Elementary was the first school receive this award in Michigan.
The most recent completed renovations to the school took place in 1994 and 1996. In 1994 nothing was actually done to the school but a new playground was erected by the community for the students to use at recess. This play ground is named Burton Community Park and it only took the dedicated residents five days to build. Then in 1996 came the most recent changes to the building with the addition of a media center and elevator along with other minor maintenance renovations. Today Burton Elementary School is home to grades kindergarten to fifth grade and over 500 students. As of summer 2014 a new black top and play ground is being constructed for students to use at recess or after school.