In the early 1820’s, there were no “actual” churches in Washington Township, but the people organized a Methodist Church. People practiced religion in either their homes, or in the schoolhouse, where circuit ministers would come and preach the way of the lord. The only other church in the area was in Utica, and and traveling was a lot more difficult back then, then it is now. It would take 23 years for a church to be built, but finally in 1846 a building was built in the same place that the Methodist Church stands today. The next church that erected was the Washington Union Church, which was built in 1879, and is still in the same place today.