Way back when Walled Lake was not known as Walled Lake, the land was inhabited by Native Americans, specifically Potawatomies. It was not until June 1825 when a man by the name of Walter Hewitt left his small village of Farmington and arrived on a glimmering lake which would later be known as Walled Lake. He built and lived in a log cabin, yet he only stayed there for about a year. Even though he did not stay long, he made a good foundation for future pioneers like War of 1812 Veterans Bela Armstrong and Cornelius Austin. The Potawatomies were excellent neighbors and often aided the Walled Lake settlers. They were mature, honorable, and respectable. It is because of these indians and the determined early Walled Lake settlers that allowed the town to continue to thrive.
In 1836, a man named Jesse Tuttle designed a series of streets and blocks that would be known as Walled Lake Village. It was around 1840 when the settlers realized that Walled Lake Village was a much better place to live, so most of the earlier settlers moved there. Surprisingly, Stonecrest still stands in its original location today. The Pioneer Inn was also build around the same time and Stonecrest became the center of the village. The inn would comfort travelers with excellent hospitality. Walled Lake’s first church was built in 1837, however in 1854, a new Baptist church was constructed in town. This made it much simpler for people to go to church. Walled Lake was a simple and a peaceful place at this time, however that was to change in the upcoming years.