Early Development

Most early pioneers were farmers. Families worked to clear the wooded land. Along with farms, the Union Meeting House was built in 1850. This served the small community to house non-denominational religious ceremonies, lectures and other uses. This project was backed by many of the early, wealthy pioneers. The building was closed in the 1930s, but today serves as the home of Trinity House Theatre. The first school was built in 1837 on Gilbert Cooper’s farm. There would go on to be five Cooper Schools with the newest and currently only one open, being opened in 1991. With the large number of Quakers that came to the city, a Quaker Acres was built. It served as a meeting house for Quakers in the area. The City of Livonia purchased the property in 1961. (MacGregor)