On delta river drive in 1839, residents of Delta Mills built their first school and a school modeled after Oberlin college was chartered as the “Grand River Theological Seminary,” but never opened. Platted as Grand River City in 1841. The school was a one-room wood frame structure, it could seat sixty-five. In 1940 the building was remodeled and a second classroom was added. Although the township district was annexed to the Grand Ledge School District in 1956, grades one through eight continued to be taught in the old building until 1958. That year, the old schoolhouse was replaced with a modern structure, which had served students until 1982, and today is now a day care run by the church of Nazarene.