There were two churches built in Clarkston during the year 1847. Methodist missionaries built the church on Buffalo St and Church St. The church was replaced in 1873 by the brick and stone structure seen today. Today, the church is hidden behind trees but remains the prominent structure on the street.
Reverend Asaehl Keith, a Baptist, built the second church on Main St in 1847. This church is now the famous restaurant “Clarkston Union” which has been featured on the Food Network. The Clarkston Union is famous for its mac and cheese.