The Little Brown Jug

The Big Jug Farm came to be known in the 1930’s on the edge of East Jordan. It was home to three giant brown jugs, two of them visible from the road, located on each side of the driveway to the farm and one in the back. John Seiler, the owner of the farm, enjoyed making up stories about the jugs. He told people he got them in Arabia on an extravagant tirp that he enjoyed describing to anyone who asked about the jugs in his yard. Seiler teased that “the jugs were the ones in which Ali Baba’s 40 Theives hid!” In fact, the jugs were fabricated in 1920 by the General Ceramic Co. of New York City and sold to the East Jordan Chemical Plant to contain acids, which they never did. After the Chemical Plant closed, Seiler bought all three jugs and put them on his property.
One of the jugs was sold to the University of Michigan, where it was used in the half time show for many years during the rivalry game between the University of Michigan and the University of Minnesota. The “Little Brown Jug” trophy was the prize for whichever team won the game. Only one jug is left standing in East Jordan, after a drunk driver crashed into one of the jugs out by the road.

Written by:

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.