The Clark Brothers built a dam on the Clinton River which created a pond that became locally known as “Mill Pond”. Washington Street was built atop the damn. The Dam was 200 feet long and had a 22 foot drop. The dam powered the grist and saw mills operated by the Clark brothers. The power of the Dam would later be used by Henry Ford for use at an upholstery factory.
The Mill Pond became a point of interest for vacationers, as they liked to spend summer days on the beaches provided by the pond. Many cottages, Inns, and homes were built around the pond.
In 1910, the water got high enough to overtake the damn and flood Washington St. The pond lost a lot of water and emptied, leaving visible mud where there used to be pond water.